MuvEnum Forums

Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvUnder Cover: The Album Art Sleuth » Suggestions / Feedback

Post subject: More Search Engines?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm 

Yahoo, Deviant Art, Flickr, SmugMug, Live Search, Fotolia, Photobucket, Picasa?
Well, if you have 300 mp3 files and really don't update your collection often with new music before they even reach the Billboard then you can do just fine with just Amazon and Google. However, if you are like me, with a collection 30,000 and growing then Amazon and Google can only help you pass a quarter of that with quality covers. With that said, with a growing catalog we all need as much help as possible to fill the blanks. As unimportant as some of these search sometimes are compare to Google, in lots of cases they hold the hard to find covers we're looking for
Well, none of the above search engines are built in MuvUnder Cover yet but read the second post below to get a temporary fix as we wait for more searches in MuvUnder.

Last edited by Dark2Max on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Zoom Preview
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

Well, it seems that this forum has been really empty lately... where's everybody?
Anyway, I've been using MuvUnder Cover daily and always trying to come up with ideas to make it better or find other software to incorporate with it to boost my chance of finding rare and hard to find covers.
So, for those of you looking to boost your results until more search engines are built in MuvUnder Cover, here's a tip.
Use MuvUncer Cover in collaboration with GiniPic (which is a free software) which not only gives you the ability to zoom the images but also searches more than Google. You get to also search Yahoo, Deviant Art, Flickr, SmugMug, Live Search, Fotolia, Photobucket, Picasa, and more at once... once you get extra finds on Ginipic, you simply "copy image" and paste to MuvUnder... simply genius.

Post subject: Re: More Search Engines?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the post and the workaround. I'll look into the engines you mentioned to determine their fit into MuvUnder Cover.

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:56 am 

I'm diggin' a year old thread but it's for a good reason :-)
I just bump into a tiny sourceforge program named Album Art Downloader. It sure can't beat MuvUnder in terms of aesthetic and features BUT the amount of search engines/scripts it has, blows any cover program I've seen so far. The list of engines this program can access is really impressive. Beside the regular Amazon and Google Images, the program access: AllCDCover, Album Art Exchange, Buy.com, CDBaby, CD Universe, Cover-Paradies, Coveralia, CoverIsland, Discogs, Darktown, Freecovers, Hitparade.ch, HMV Canada, Juno Records (Very good for Dance music albums/singles) LastFM, ManiaDB, MusicMight, Psyshop, RevHQ, YesAsia, ArkivMusik (for Classical music), LastFM Artist (for Artist Images), Yes24, Encyclopaedia Metallum, and Metal Library (for Rock and Metal).
So, my curiosity and ultimately my question is, how can the programmer get access to these sites with his scripts? I'm assuming it can't be that much of a secret or something only him can write. Can MuvUnder add some of these to its list of search engines?
As I've demonstrated before on this thread, I've been using MuvUnder in combination with GiniPic but these engines that Album Art Downloader has, are even better because they are strictly about covers and music. So, now I'm doing MuvUnder + GiniPic + Album Art Downloader. However, it's a hassle because I have to navigate in between 3 programs to cut and paste and search. Whereas if MuvUnder had some of these search engines, I'd just use Muv, period.
I think it would be a great move for MuvUnder to add some of these engines.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Admin

We currently search Amazon, Discogs, JunoRecords, and Google Images. We had Album Art Exchange but they were removed at their request. Since we are a commercial product we have to respect the request of the available engines as it costs them money to host their images and MuvUnder Cover isn't a monthly subscription.

We have been looking into adding support for at least Buy.com. As for other engines, they will need to be evaluated on the quality and number of covers compared to the current engines. Adding additional engines increases search time and possible "bad/incorrect" results which we try to avoid as much as possible.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Board index » MuvUnder Cover: The Album Art Sleuth » Suggestions / Feedback