MuvEnum Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvEnum Address Bar » Suggestions / Feedback

Post subject: Tab Completion
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:45 am 

First off, I was very pleased to find this piece of software after installing SP3. The one thing I think is missing is tab completion. I would love to see this added if possible :)

Post subject: Re: Tab Completion
 Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take a look into adding support.

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

For the Tab Completion, I'm having trouble where Explorer is stealing the Tab key event (it worked in my test program which I found out doesn't act the same as when it is hosted in Explorer). Right now, I have it available to go through using the up and down arrows. I'll keep trying to work around it but Tab may not make it in this next release. You'll have to move your right hand a little for the up/down arrow support in the meantime.

Thanks,

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Tab completion is not supported though the up and down arrow completion will be. After looking into it, from a usability/accessibility standpoint, tab completion is not the right thing to do:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archi ... 88163.aspx

Quote:
Even using Tab as the autocomplete character suffers from the same flaw. Consider the Run dialog or IE's address bar. In those places, the Tab key moves you around the window. (To the OK, Cancel, and Browse buttons on the Run dialog, or into the web page itself for IE.) If the Tab key were the autocomplete completion key, it wouldn't be possible to Tab around the dialog/window any more. For example, suppose you want to browse around your C drive, so you type C:\ into the Run dialog and hit Tab three times to get to the Browse button. But, oops, the Tab key autocompletes, so instead of browsing C:\, you're browsing whatever directory in your C: drive the autocomplete engine decided to show you.

In reference to the explorer toolbars, tab moves you between the toolbars (quicklaunch, start menu, etc.).

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:09 pm 

That's funny. I always thought IE did it correctly and the others did it wrong!!

The tab completion on a list is very fast since I don't have to take my hands from the main keyboard. Perhaps a ctrl char? ctrl-D? ctrl-F?

Even though the mighty Oracle of Microsoft says its wrong, I still think tab completion works well.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Admin

It does work well in actuality. It's just frustrating that everything I've tried so far to get it to work has obviously not worked. Hopefully I can get some time to go back through and see if I can find a different way... I've thought about using CAPSLOCK or something like that, but that would be kind of weird. Possibly using "~" would suffice? It's a bit more of a reach and those with shorter fingers would have to pull of the home row a little... Let me know what you think.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:31 am 
Site Admin

After pulling all of my hair out trying plenty of different ways to get Tab support working, I finally figured it out! Tab support has been added in v3.0.0.0. Get it from the downloads section: http://www.muvenum.com/downloads/

Board index » MuvEnum Address Bar » Suggestions / Feedback