MuvEnum Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best audio quality settings and tagging
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:13 pm 
Hi. I have a bunch of 192 Kbps WMA tracks that I was to convert into different format. From what I understand, Muv works by decompressing tracks by playing them and then capturing the 44.1 Kbps audio stream, and then re-encoding it. So to keep the reocrding in it's best format, it would seem to make sense to re-capture the audio in a lossless format. That way there is only a decode going on an no new compression being done on the audio stream.

Is this true, or does VAC with MUV work in a way that if I re-encoded it into 192 kbps WMA it would sound exactly like the original? I rip all my music into FLAC format normally since I have lots of storage, but I'm unsure as to what the best way to go is.

Also, I saw in another note that encoding to FLAC results in no tags in the file. I could probably add tags by running a program based on the file name and directory structure, but this seems like a hassle. You went on said that MP3 and WMA do have tags encoded in them. Does this include WMA lossless? I guess I could then convert WMA losses into FLAC and transfer the tags over that way, but it' seems cumbersome. Is there a reason why only MP3 and WMA have tag support?

Thanks,
Frob

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

FLAC currently doesn't have tagging support (we weren't able to add it in time) but we are looking into adding support for tagging for OGG and FLAC. As far as the audio quality goes, the audio we will be true to the source. So a 192kbps WMA will always have that quality as long as the format you are recording into isn't of a lower quality.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:35 am 

Adding FLAC tags would be great. just to be clear, do you support tags in WMA lossless today?

Thanks,
Frob

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:54 am 
Site Admin

WMAs are currently supported up to 320kbps with tagging. I hope this answers your question.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:43 pm 

renzska wrote:
WMAs are currently supported up to 320kbps with tagging. I hope this answers your question.

Not quite. There are two different WMA compression schemes. The normal one where you spec a bit rate and is comprabale to mp3, and the lossless codec which compress only to about 50% of the original, but allows you to reconstruct the original with bitperfect accuracy. It's like FLAC.

Do you support encodiing into WMA lossless with tags? I know you do WMA lossy with tags...

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant that we supported up to 320kbps WMA lossy. We don't currently support WMA lossless. We are planning on adding FLAC tagging support within the next month.

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:26 am 

renzska wrote:
Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant that we supported up to 320kbps WMA lossy. We don't currently support WMA lossless. We are planning on adding FLAC tagging support within the next month.

Thanks,

Great. FLAC tags is the last thing I need to make this very valuable to me....

Great product!
Mike

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 am 

renzska wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:45 pm .... We are planning on adding FLAC tagging support within the next month.

Thanks,

I'm using version 2.9.6.6 of MUVAudio and have converted WMA files to FLAC but the tags are not shown. Has the FLAC tagging feature been implemented yet? :shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin

FLAC support for tagging has been included for a long time. What program are you using to view the FLAC tags? Also, where did you get the file that you converted from and did it originally have the tags in it?

Thank you,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 am 

I couldn't see the tags using Windows Explorer. The files I have converted were a mixture of MP3 and WMA. Both had full tags. However, when I play the files using JetAudio, I can see that the tags are in fact shown on the software display and it seems that it's only Wondows Explorer that does not show the tags. why is that? Thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 am 
Site Admin

FLAC tags are not supported in Windows Explorer, even on Vista. It would be awesome if additional tag support could be implemented, though it would most likely mean that new column types would need to be created that you would have to use in place of the default windows ones.

We could probably do it, if interest in something like it was high enough.

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:29 am 

Thanks renzska. I jumped the gun a bit when I couldn't see FLAC tags in Windows Explorer, came to the forum and saw the post about FLAC tags and MUVAudio, then noticed the tags when I played the tracks ...

I certainly would like to see the tags listed in Windows Explorer as it certainly make for much easier cataloguing. I wonder, what are other folk using to catalogue FLAC tracks under Windows XP?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Update: 4/14/2009

v2.0.0.0 that works with XP x64 has been released. Please let me know if you have any issues with it.
http://muvenum.com/downloads/freeware/m ... -setup.exe

Highfield,

I've created "MuvEnum Media Tags - Windows Explorer Column Extension" and was wondering if you could try it out and let me know any suggestions you may have. It's should be compatible with Windows XP (x86 and x64) and lesser operating systems. It will not work on Windows Vista.

It adds the following:

Add support for the following columns to Windows Explorer:

Album, BeatsPerMinute, Comment, Conductor, Copyright, Disc, DiscCount, Grouping, AlbumArtists, Composers, Genres, Performers, Lyrics (contains yes/no), Pictures (number of), Title, Track, TrackCount, Year, AudioBitrate, AudioChannels, AudioSampleRate, Description, Duration, MediaTypes, VideoHeight, VideoWidth

For the following filetypes:

APE
ASF
FLAC
M4A
M4P
M4V
MP+
MP3
MP4
MPC
MPP
OGG
WMA
WMV
WV

To use, install using the following setup file:

http://muvenum.com/downloads/freeware/m ... -setup.exe

Once installed, open up Windows Explorer and navigate to a music folder. In detailed view, right-click on any of the columns and then click on "More..." and check the columns you would like to have shown in Windows Explorer.

All of the above columns include a · in front of the name for easy reference between which are the Windows Explorer included columns and which are added by the MuvEnum Tags Column Extension.

We'll get this added to the actual website as time allows. If you find any bugs, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions, post them here.

Thanks again,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 am 

Oh my! That is class. I download, installed it, followed the instructions posted here and voilà - FLAC tags in Windows XP Explorer. I added all the new .column settings, jigged them about a bit, resized, moved them around and it was faultless in operation. Many thanks renzska

Post subject: Re: Best audio quality settings and tagging
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

MuvEnum Media Tags has now been added to the freeware and download pages.

http://www.muvenum.com/downloads/
http://www.muvenum.com/products/freeware/

Thanks for the suggestion on the software. I hope others find it useful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]