MuvEnum Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Incorrecct VBR bit rate stored in MP3 Header
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:32 am 

I use the VBR encoding in VAC/MuvAudio for my MP3s and the resulting files report an incorrect and very low average bit rate. I have to use a repair utility to correct each file when done to get a correct average bit rate in the header. Can this be fixed so that a correct bit rate is stored in the file header?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Which preset are you using?

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:03 pm 

VBR MEDIUM

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:10 am 

I have seen the same behavior using the Extreme preset. The files report 32kbps, when the average is closer to ~224. Definitely a bit annoying.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:50 am 

I had the same issue with iTunes and my iPod reporting the wrong informatiom...also long gaps of silence.

Here's a free repair tool called VBR Fix. (Very slow, however):
http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.php

I also found a shareware tagging tool which also accomplishes the VBR fix:
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

$19. dollars US, but worth it for the speed and all the other features. Unfortunately the author has crippled folder level implementation (Have to select files individually) but here is his work-around:

"Use the Direct Rename tool in absolute path mode to move all the files in an arbitrarily big directory structure to a single dir. Then VBR repair them all in one single sweep, and finally undo the Direct Rename operation to bring them all back to their original location."

Dave

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:47 pm 

Just to put a finer point on what (I hope) we're all driving at here, we'd really like to see this bug fixed in the next version of MuvAudio. It's annoying to have to use another app (be it a slow freeware copy or a fast purchased copy) to finish MuvAudio's job properly. And, for the record, it isn't simply a matter of incorrectly displayed bitrate--it is that and the fact that many players do not know how to properly calculate song length (which can also lead to serious issues when trying to seek within the song) with incorrect VBR headers. Thus far, we know this problem happens with the Extreme and Medium presets--perhaps it happens with others as well....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

The actual cause of the error lies with the lame_enc.dll file. We are hoping that a future version of lame (4.0) will fix this issue. We will update MuvAudio when this happens or we find another work around.

Thank you,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 pm 

renzska,

I just swapped out lame_enc for 3.97b2 and the problem is fixed. Winamp dealt with the issue OK except for showing 32kb as the bitrate when viewing the file properties. My Blaupunkt in-dash didn't handle it so well -- The min:sec counter went wild counting up at 5-10x normal speed.

Unfortunately the LAME project is regarding this code as "beta" even though everyone is using it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Well,

Talk about timing. We are just about finished with a vbr fix so that files show the correct track length. Can you send an email to admin@muvaudio.com so that we could send you a file encoded with the fix so that you can try it in your player to see if it accepts it? If so, it would be appreciated and give us a little more feedback from players unaccessible to us.

Thanks,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:43 pm 

Renzska,

Harvey was happy everywhere I let him run. Was that MP3 made with the LAME 3.97b2 code?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]