MuvEnum Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bug report: ellipsis is not your friend
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:07 pm 

When setting up a transcode session, if your output directory, based on embedded metadata, ends with (or perhaps simply contains) an ellipsis (...), then MuvAudio will create an output directory without the ellipsis (assuming it comes at the end, since Windows does not support ellipsis without it being followed by additional text), appear to process all of the files associated with that folder, but not actually create any output file. MuvAudio has no problem creating files that contain an ellipsis, only creating files in folders that (as far as I know) end with an ellipsis.

The workaround is to output the same files to a folder which does not contain an ellipsis, but that's a real pain when queueing up a few hundred / thousand tracks where maybe four or five albums of content don't get properly processed because of the ellipsis (translation: there is no need to "fix" a problem for 40 tracks only to "create" a problem (changing folder output name) for 400.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

We are looking into this issue and hope to have a fix in the next little while.

Do you have some album / artists that have the ellipsis in them so that we can use them for testing?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:27 am 

Easy way to test would be to take a WMA file (any WMA file--for that matter, MuvAudio can transcode MP3s, right?, so you could take any MP3 as well) go into a tag editor for the file, and add an ellipsis to the end of the album title (should also work if you put an ellipsis at the end of the artist field, but album for sure,) then tell MuvAudio to output the file using WM/Arist Name & WM/Album Title (depending on the location of the ellipsis, the order may be important.)

I believe that the error occurs because Windows does not allow for folders to end with a period (let alone three of them,) but MuvAudio doesn't know that and tries to send the file to (for example) "The Mavericks - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection..." instead of "The Mavericks - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection" As a somewhat simpler way to express Windows' refusal to end a folder with a period, try naming a folder as an acronym (with the periods.) Want to install the game F.E.A.R. to \Games\F.E.A.R.? Well, too bad, you can't. You can install it to \Games\F.E.A.R or \Games\FEAR but not \Games\F.E.A.R.

As near as I can tell, MuvAudio just needs to learn that when it creates the output folders using embedded tag info that even if, according to the tag, the output folder should contain an ellipsis (or, for that matter, even a single period) at the end, that it needs to cut the ellipsis or period our of the picture. I've probably overexplained the situation, but on the off chance that I haven't and you want more clarification, just ask. I don't know squat about programming, but I have a pretty good handle on exactly why this error occurs. I think. :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

This error has been fixed as of v1.4.

Thank you,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » MuvAudio [Archived] » Support [Archived]