MuvEnum Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MuvAudio2 » Support

Post subject: MuvAudio and Windows 7
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 am 

Hi,

I just installed MuvAudio2 in Windows 7 and am having one hickup. When I got to record the files it doesn't change the Virtual Cable to default and I get a file of silence. I can manually select it as default under control panel and sound.

Is there a way to get MuvAudio to do this automatically?

Post subject: Re: MuvAudio and Windows 7
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am 
Site Admin

MuvAudio does not currently support Windows 7 due to a change in the way the audio system works in Windows 7 (stream switching). We're working a solution to this change and will let you know when a fix is available.

Thanks,

Resources: Manuals, FAQs, Forums, Blog

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:17 pm 

John,

Any idea what the time frame for this workaround will be. I have built a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. I like it so well, I have no intention of leaving, and will upgrade to the RC when it is released and then will buy the final version. It would be nice to know when I can expect to see a working release under Windows 7. Thanks!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:22 pm 

I'd guess this is not a trivial change.

When you're ready to test, I have 2 i7 machines with 12 gig of ram waiting for you (Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2).

Suddenly I seem able to get most of my work done :D

Mike

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Mike,

If you send me one of those machines I'm pretty sure I could get it working a little sooner than anticipated :)

Actually, I've verified that Windows 7 support for MuvAudio is possible so that's a big fear that I no longer have. I'll be releasing an update shortly that fixes a few issues but doesn't have Windows 7 support as it will take more time to implement and test. It will definitely be ready before the final release of Windows 7 and will probably enter beta sometime after the next beta/RC of Windows 7 is released to verify that they haven't changed anything since the previous beta that may affect the changes I am having to make. Ugh, that was an ugly sentence. It's a good thing I'm starting to use Twitter as it should help me learn to keep my sentences short and to the point.

On twitter as MuvEnumJohn: http://www.twitter.com/MuvEnumJohn.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm 

I got them at Microcenter for a grand, but I wanted bigger drives and 12 gig of ddr3 instead of the 6 they came with. About the smartest purchase I ever made. (Excepting your product, natch.)

I'm pretty thrilled with the beta, btw, now that I can get my sonicwall global vpn to work.

The really sad thing here is that I had no trouble understanding your sentence. In fact I had to re-read the post just see what you criticizing. (You're like Faulkner, and that's a virtue.)

I do think the day of your big fear will arrive, but you are one ingenious dude.

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 am 

So its been over a month since the last post regarding the Windows 7 Silence issues, have we got fix or work around yet? LOVING Windows 7 Beta, its 100x more reliable than Vista, and that's sad that beta is more reliable!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 am 
Site Admin

We're shooting for shortly after the next beta/RC of Windows 7 is released so we can guarantee they don't break anything else from the current version.

Current rumors are the next RC of Windows 7 will be released this month...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:10 pm 

so at the moment no one is able to get muvaudio2 working with Windows 7 32 or 640bit?

The OP made it sound as if he was able to get it working but having to manually designate the Muvenum Virtual Cable as the default audio device. When I try doing that then starting the recording, the default device switches back to "speaker" Realtek high definition audio device.

Oh yeah and I'm assuming this is causing my problem of silent tracks and audio coming out of the speakers, hence the default audio device is "speaker".

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 am 
Site Admin

His description was about hearing the audio and getting a single session to convert but he would most likely be missing audio and having other issues.

Yes, this is why you are getting silent output files.

There was a fundamental change in the Vista audio system; "stream switching" causes all audio from all audio channels to the play through the default audio device when it is changed. This feature is good from a user standpoint but makes MuvAudio not work. We do have a work around but we're still in the process of full implementing and testing it which is why we are waiting for the Windows 7 Release Candidate (they could change something on us at the last minute that would break it).

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm 

I've been checking obsessively, and it looks like Windows 7 RC will be up on Thursday, April 30, 2009, for MSDN and Technet subscribers http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/04/24/windows-7-release-candidate-update.aspx and generally available to others on May 5.

I've encountered issues with audio device switchingin Windows 7 builds, and I've seen code break from one build to another, so I think you're smart to wait a bit to publish a new version.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:21 am 

I've just installed the RC (upgraded, actually) and I'm about to download the Windows Virtual PC (Beta). Curious to see how MuvAudio does in that context. I'll try to report tonight or tomorrow.

(I'm really interested in seeing how the Visual Studio 2010 CTP behaves, which I guess is a little off-topic.)

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Admin

We're finishing up another project and then we start the testing against Windows 7 RC. Same here on VS2010 :)

Thanks,

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:11 am 

Hello I am new to this forum. I've been using MUVAudio for a good while. Great product. I do have occasional skips, but I wrote it off to possibly a system deficiency and not the program perhaps. Not a major issue. The Windows 7 thing is a bummer, though. I am using the new RC and it is positively the best OS Microsoft has come up with to date. I am lovin' it!. I only use XP occasinally now (mostly to manage partitions using Partition Magic 8.0, which definitely screws up sometimes in W7), as I have got virtually everything to run on W7, including a bunch of programs that 7 warns as having "compatibility issues", such as Roxio 7 (which runs fine BTW. Just tell W7 to "run program" when it asks). When will the MUV fix be available for W7? The only workaround there is, is to disable the sound card in device manager, switch the default sound output device to virtual cable (although I think MUV does do this switch automatically) and then convert the songs one at a time. Very time consuming! Then of course, you have to re-enable the sound card and switch the sound output default back to speakers when you are finished converting! I look forward to the update. It is really the ONLY thing I don't have working correctly in W7 at this point!

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Update: Still working on Windows 7 support.

Board index » MuvAudio2 » Support